Blue dots (regular width)

Thursday, March 17, 2011

"Put a bird on it!"

If you've ever seen Portlandia (the TV show) you're probably familiar with the "Put a bird on it" episode.  So funny!  I grew up in Vancouver, WA, across the bridge from Portland, OR, or as we call it now "PTown" so the show hits close to home (or what used to be home).

I started crocheting quite a few months ago, after I saw it done on another blog (can't remember which one).  I had some embroidery thread that was my Grandma's and got some inexpensive reusable bags from Michael's (again, gotta use the 40% off coupon).  The dish towels are cheaper at Walmart.  I penciled ideas onto the bags and just started embroidering by freehand (sounds hard, but it's really not if you do small stitches).  I've done napkins, kitchen towels, bags, etc.  Here are just a few I did as Christmas presents...










These make awesome gifts because they're inexpensive and hand made.  Just Google images to come up with designs, or cruise other blogs for ideas. You can buy embroidery kits @ craft stores (like Michaels) for fairlyinexpensive and they come 
with templates so you can just copy some of their designs to get started.   I love using buttons as accents too.  They're cheap and add a lot of color and three dimension to designs.  Fabric or ribbon flowers are super cute as additions too (my next blog will be about those!).  And don't forget to put      a bird on it!  It really does make everything cuter.   


















Happy embroidering!

No comments:

Post a Comment