Blue dots (regular width)

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Decorating with plates and windows

I love vintage decor (or at least decor that looks vintage).  I also love decor that's inexpensive and unique.  A friend of mine owns an old home and had some of the original windows.  She gave me a couple as she saw no use for them.  I did!  In the past few homes I've lived in I've always had this same decor hanging on the wall.
In this particular window the glass had broken and fallen out.  I scraped off as much of the old paint as I could and repainted it because old windows mean old paint that can contain lead.  I hung it and then used plate hangers to hang each plate.  These are vintage looking dessert/salad sized plates but they are actually fairly new.  I love Anthropologie and Home Goods for these things. If you cannot get your hands on an old window try going to a Habitat For Humanity store or any kind of junk yard that has old doors and windows.  They will usually let you barter with them.  It's much cuter against a wall of a different color than the window.  Mine kind of blends in like this.  Another option is putting different colored paper or material behind each window section.  That can add a lot of color to a room.  Grab a window and share some pictures of what you make!

No comments:

Post a Comment